By Holistic Pediatrician, Janet Levatin, MD
A few months ago I posted a blog about an 18 month old little boy who was suffering from several chronic conditions. Bobby (not his real name) had allergies, eczema, asthma, gastro-esophageal reflux (GERD), growth failure, and recurrent strep throat and MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staph aureus) skin infections. Specialists had prescribed steroid creams, an inhaled medication called albuterol, oral and topical antibiotics, and medication for his GERD.
Not satisfied with his ongoing problems and all the medications he was prescribed, his mother sought alternative care. I’m happy to report that with the dietary changes his mother made and the treatment plan I recommended, he is doing much, much better! Here are the elements of his program.
- Nutrition: Bobby’s mother suspected he was gluten sensitive. She had him tested and found he was positive for a gene that predisposes people to developing gluten sensitivity. He also had anti-gluten antibodies in a stool test, a diagnostic sign of gluten sensitivity. Since adopting a gluten-free diet, rich in organic, whole fruits and vegetables, he has had a growth spurt and and his GERD has resolved completely.
- Targeted Supplements: In addition to encouraging the gluten-free diet, I recommended Vitamin D, 2000 IU per day, and a high-quality probiotic. Vitamin D assists the immune system and is necessary for many other systems in the body to function optimally. Probiotics restore the vital balance of good bacteria in the gut, which had been disrupted by GERD medication and antibiotics. A healthy gut is critically important for healthy lungs and skin.
- Respiratory Care: In addition to the albuterol being used to suppress his episodic asthma symptoms, I prescribed nebulized glutathione. As explained by Dr. Mark Hyman, glutathione is the “mother of all anti-oxidants” and the body’s most important natural anti-inflammatory agent. It helps inflamed tissues to repair over time. Bobby used the nebulized glutathione three times per week as a routine and twice daily during acute asthma attacks. As the glutathione has healed his lungs, his asthma has nearly resolved and his need for albuterol treatments has dramatically decreased.
- Skin Care: To help Bobby’s skin, I advised the use of only simple, single-ingredient substances such as coconut oil or shea butter for moisturizing. Colloidal silver gel and calendula-containing Herbal Ed’s Salve were used on infection-prone areas, eliminating the need for topical antibiotics. All antibacterial soaps, hand sanitizers, and wipes were removed from the household, as these contribute to resistant bacteria such as MRSA. His mother also purchased a filter to remove chlorine from his bath water. Bobby’s skin is now normal, except for slight dryness, and he no longer has MRSA outbreaks.
- Homeopathy: I prescribed an individualized homeopathic remedy for Bobby, Kali carbonicum 200, one of the many remedies known for treating asthma, which he repeated periodically over time. I also prescribed him some combination remedies targeted at resolving Staph and Strep infections. Homeopathy is a 200-year-old system of medicine that is individualized to the person, and assists the body in correcting itself. It is safe, easy to administer, cost effective, and can be used with all other forms of treatment as it has no interactions. It is a perfect component to include in the treatment of any child with chronically poor health.
Within just a few months Bobby was growing well, his skin was mostly clear, and the asthma had nearly resolved. He has had no antibiotics since starting care with me, and rarely needs albuterol. I’ve shared this story to encourage parents to adopt dietary changes and a program of natural therapies if their children have been diagnosed with medical conditions, instead of believing a lifetime of prescription drugs and specialist appointments is inevitable. Instead, correct the underlying abnormalities and remove the causes of illness when possible. Our children’s health — and our future as humans — depend upon it.